Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just some odds and ends

I was reading some random news articles and blog posts and found the following things, all of which I thought were interesting. First of all, a copy of the first comic book to feature Superman sold the other day for for $317,200. The owner selling the comic book bought it when he was 9 years old at a secondhand store for 35 cents. If only my 401(k) could get that kind of return.

Next up, an interesting article about libraries in difficult economic times. Apparently, libraries are in some kind of sad irony: the demand for their services is going up, but their budgets are going down, and so is their ability to meet those increased demands. I don't have much to say on this article. I just thought it worth a read.

And finally, the best part. Here's a fabulous blog post
on the world's most beautiful libraries. I think I need to go see them all, but for now here's a few of my favorites.

Biblioteca do Palacio e Convento de Mafra I, Lisbon Coast, Portugal

George Peabody Library, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Handelingenkamer Tweede Kamer Der Staten-Generaal Den Haag, the Hague, Netherlands

Sansovino Library, Rome, Italy

Suzzallo Library, Seattle, Washington, USA

And there's a whole bunch more that I love, but don't have time or space to post here. Just go check it out, it's incredible. But be prepared to scroll--a LOT.

No comments: