Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I hate being sick!

Wow, this has been a crazy weekend! On Thursday I went to the doctor because of some back pain I have been having. He gave me drugs and sent me to physical therapy. Turns out (according to my physical therapist) that my hips were out of alignment so we started working on that. Later that evening I started getting the sniffles. No big deal, I thought. A little congestion won't be so bad---boy was I wrong!

Friday was a normal day at work, except my sniffles started getting worse. By the end of the day I knew I was completely sick. All I wanted to do was to go home and sleep--and by home I mean my mom and dad's. So that's what we did. I was still hoping, though, that this cold wouldn't be too bad. The next day I took a dose of sudafed and headed off to Ikea with my sisters. We bought lamps, a rug, storage boxes, a mini ironing board, and throw blanket, and a wall shelf to hang in Jessica's room. Oh, and some Swedish goodies. I really like the stuff we got (especially my lamp) but shopping was stressful and exhausting. We decided to get some dinner after our shopping trip, then we headed home. By this point I had taken multiple doses of sudafed but they had stopped working. This was the beginning of hell.

Sunday I was too sick to go to church. I spent the day in bed reading, but I could feel the congestion moving into my chest. A few years ago I had a nasty case of bronchitis, and my lungs have never been quite the same, so feeling that cough coming on was not something I was too happy about. The coughing started, and that combined with the sneezing, and the tossing and turning in bed started to wreak havoc on my back. By Sunday evening I was completely immobile. I was lying flat on the floor and I couldn't even roll over. It was brutal.

Monday was more of the same, but worse. The cough had definitely settled in, and I felt yicky all over. I was stressed because I knew I had a physical therapy appointment the next morning, and I had work the next evening--I didn't know how I was going to do either. In the end I decided to skip on the physical therapy, but I was going to try to make it in to work.

Tuesday morning was awful--major coughing and congestion, but I got myself ready for work. When I got in I could hardly stand, but I didn't know what else to do because I needed the work hours. Fortunately, I work with great people. They told me to go home and we'd trade weekend shifts around so I could still get my hours. Jess came and picked me up, and after a stop for some food, I went home and slept for about 4 hours. I'm heavily medicated (Dayquil is my friend) but I'm doing much better today. I can't wait for this stupid cold to be over with! 

No comments: