Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Love Google Alerts

Here are a couple things I found interesting as I tried to catch up on all my Google Alerts:

The University of Virginia's Founding Era collection is being digitized and made fully searchable. Available now are the papers of Dolly Madison, George Washington, John Adams, and (most recent) Thomas Jefferson. The only downside is that to actually view the texts you have to sign up for a free trial that only lasts 48 hours, and you can only sign up for a trial every six months. (Or, if you can find enough spare change in the couch, you can just purchase access.) In any case, it looks like quite the undertaking, and they have more collections coming soon.

So I've been hearing about this new book, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I read one review that really blasted it, but most other reviews I've read were positive. I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of this book, but I'll have to read it as I have to read all things connected to Jane Austen. Now it seems the author, Seth Grahame-Smith, will be combining the supernatural with another of my favorite people: Abraham Lincoln. Oh dear.

I've got some book things to blog about on my book blog, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Night!

No comments: