Wednesday, October 24, 2007

College Progress Report

Just got out of class, and am covering the service desk at work. Since there's nothing much to do while covering the desk, I'm writing another blog.

Today in class we started our section on Freud; that is some crazy, crazy stuff. As my dad put it the other day, Freud creates his theories of psycho-sexuality from a case-study of himself. What a way to develop a universal theory. The class discussion was pretty good--I got to make a connection to Jane Austen, which always makes me happy ;) -- although one girl in class, who obviously has read up on feminist issues around Freud, did most of the talking.

I'm processing a collection right now that's full of personal letters from this guy to his mother. Talk about Freudian issues--this guy was loaded with them! It makes for interesting reading.

I started looking at the Spring 2008 class schedule, and I've been debating an issue. I realized that I could finish up all my general ed. requirements next semester, and get my Associates degree. I'm tempted, but it also presents some problems--mostly money problems. I want to take another class next semester that probably won't be taught again for a LONG time, but it's not one of my generals, and if I try to finish off my generals, I don't know that I'd be able to afford another class. Plus, I wonder if the Associates is really going to do anything for me. I guess I'm going to have to talk to an adviser and see if the gen. ed. requirements are going to change anytime soon.

In trying to figure out next semester's classes, I also realized that I'm almost done with my major requirements too. That means it's about dang time for me to pick a minor, and get some work done on that! I'm just going to make it easy on myself and go for history. Oh, and I'm changing from a B.S. to a B.A., so that means I need to start taking foreign language classes; I'm thinking German. All in all, I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. It will still take some time, but I think I just might survive college.

At least my bachelors.

No comments: